Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Historical Document G-2447: The Personal Account of Wat the Bunnyslayer

Go down

Historical Document G-2447: The Personal Account of Wat the Bunnyslayer Empty Historical Document G-2447: The Personal Account of Wat the Bunnyslayer

Post by Reinbach Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:52 pm

The following is the personal account of an adventuring paladin of the post-Crystal War era during the age of Vana'diel. This book was found in the ruins of Windurst's residential area, in what appears to be a mog house. There are no other historical records of Wat the Bunnyslayer, though there is much speculation on who he may have been. Regardless of his origin, the account in this document is a rare look into the life of the adventurers who used their swords and sorcery to battle dragons and beasts for the preservation of Vana'diel.

- Elivande Jardineaux, Ph.D.

It has been a fortnight since I left the guild to become an adventurer and already I am a knight! I was in Ronfaure, training against one of the forest hares when an entourage of knights stopped to watch me. I am shamed to say that I was losing. The leader of the entourage got down from his chocobo and began to heal me as I fought. After the rabbit was slain, I turned to thank him and he asked my name and bade me kneel. He made me recite a knight's vows then and there, then placed his sword on my shoulders! When I asked him if this meant I was a knight, he told me that I had knelt a common adventurer and risen as Sir Wat the Bunnyslayer. The entourage had a good laugh as he mounted his chocobo and they rode off. Apparently it had all been a cruel jape at my expense. Knighthood has seen sad days when knights will make fools out of the small folk they swore to protect. Left stinging from the insult, I concluded my training for the day.

I could take this insult to the proper authorities within the Royal Knights and pray that he will be reprimanded not only for his misconduct, but for possibly overstepping his authority and knighting a commoner. I believe that would petty, however. If he says that I am a knight, then I will accept that honor. I will be a greater and more noble knight than he. I will make him eat those words one day. That jape will be a badge of honor, and I have taken a brown rabbit as my knightly seal. I've already painted one on my shield.

As the week progressed, I found myself in Bastok. I have always wanted to visit Bastok, as it is my ancestral homeland. My grandfather was hired by the smithing guild in San d'Oria to work in their forge and be a mentor as they studied Bastokan smithing techniques. I found it a pleasant enough place, though the entire city is permeated with the smell of coal and hot steel. The air is quite thick at times. I had some ale at the Steaming Sheep, and a bretzel. It reminded me of the bretzels my grandmother would make.

As I was resting, a Mithran toddler saw the bunny on my shield and called out to me. It turns out that her father is Ayvaen Alchmage, a sidekick of Sir Monveaux's during his adventures in the northlands. It took me a while to recognize the name at first, I must admit, but I eventually recognized him. He has offered to take me under his wing and become my mentor, and I gladly accepted. I could use all the help I can get, and if Sir Monveaux trusted him I know that I can as well. He even gave me a linkpearl, as well. Still, there is something troubling me.

Shortly after taking me as an apprentice, we came across a tarutaru who behaved like a wild cat! He was stumbling around in a wild, drunken fashion. I went to aid him and he clawed at me! When I talked to him, he told me that he believed that he was actually a tiger trapped in a tarutaru's body! I may be thick sometimes, but I know quite well what a man will say when he's spent too long in the cups. He was obviously intoxicated! The strange part was that Ayvaen and the company of people who followed him and his wife believed him! It didn't seem out of the ordinary at all! They even rationalized it by saying he was an Immortal, but I doubt the Empire of Aht Urhgan would ever let someone who honestly believed THEY were a tiger ever serve them! If so, I will steer well away from the near east in my travels! It is my understanding that this tarutaru is still running rampant, a danger to himself and others. I will learn what I can from the members of this linkshell, but I fear that many of them may be delusional. It may be best not to get overly involved with them.
Reinbach
Reinbach

Back to top Go down

Historical Document G-2447: The Personal Account of Wat the Bunnyslayer Empty Re: Historical Document G-2447: The Personal Account of Wat the Bunnyslayer

Post by Reinbach Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:26 pm

Thank you for posting this! Personal journals of adventurers are so rare! People tend to percieve them as faceless archetypes so much that it's hard to imagine them as anything else. It's good to read things like this to remind yourself that these were real people!

- Rhame Dakomo

This "knight" rubbed shoulders with people like Ayvaen and Xenedra Alchmage and Verence Monveaux, yet there is no other written record of him anywhere else in history? That seems a little suspicious, Elivande. Are you certain of the authenticity of this "journal"?

- Durah-Morow, Ph.D

Quite certain, my friend. The book itself has been crystal dated back to about the time this account describes. The style of binding is also typical of the period. If you would like to take a look at it, you could always come by my office. I would be happy to show it to you.

- Elivande Jardineaux, Ph.D

That only accounts for the book. Some of this ink wouldn't still be wet, would it?

- Durah-Morow, Ph.D

Are you trying to accuse me of something, doctor? If anyone tried to write in a book this old, it would fall apart! What's the matter, Durah? Angry because this was discovered in your own back yard and I'm the one who gets the first crack at it?

- Elivande Jardineaux, Ph.D

Come now, both of you. I will not have this kind of bickering on my forum. If you want to troll each other there are plenty of other places on the pearlnet you can go.

- Wandering Salmon, Ph.D, Forum Administrator

So i herd u liek clippers

- BANNED USER
Reinbach
Reinbach

Back to top Go down