Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FFXIV RP Community

+5
Mhuirnin
Xenedra
Verence
Reinbach
Zarik
9 posters

:: Main :: General

Go down

FFXIV RP Community Empty FFXIV RP Community

Post by Zarik Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:56 pm

Greetings everyone! Zarik representing Sylph's RP community here. I tried to send a PM to the board administrator here but it has gone unnoticed so I'll instead appealing directly to the rest of you^^.

Anyway, I’m basically wondering what plans (if any) this server's roleplay population have with FFXIV? Are some/most/all of you planning to make a permanent switch to the new world? If so, the other server RP communities are coming together to form a RP coalition of sorts. While there will be multiple different RP guilds with varying styles, we do want to work together to ensure that we not only get ourselves on the same server but also to create a much stronger and more unified RP community overall this time around.

My personal vision for the new RP community involves quite a few things. First, I’d love it if we were able to get all or most of us on an “official” RP server even if SE does not designate such a server. This will obviously take some communication and I already have a website and forums ready to launch for that purpose. It won’t be a guild website, but rather a coalition of guilds. I don’t expect us all to join into one big RP guild due to differences in standards and styles. However, being on the same server as fellow Rpers is a huge step forward that was never accomplished in Vana’diel. Timing is of course a very crucial element when it comes to succeeding at this. If I were to launch the site/forums too soon, we’d have people disappearing quickly before the game even launches. If the site is launched too late, many may make other plans to be on a different server with some non-RP friends. Thus, I’ve determined the best time to begin putting Rpers together is right before open beta begins.

I would really like to see a stronger and less divided RP community than what we currently see in FFXI. Assuming we’re able to get most of us on a central server, I can see us holding cross-guild events every now and then such as tavern nights, fishing trips, etc. Heck, we could even end up doing endgame with fellow roleplayers this time around instead of having to join different guilds. I’d also like to see a more respected and influential RP community, one where people actually know we exist.

Before I start rambling on and on, I guess I should draw this to a close for now. I basically wanted to know what’s going on with this server’s RP community and their future plans. As of now, most/all other RP communities server-wide are in favor of uniting into a coalition from the start. The week following the new year, I intend to make a public post on premier FFXIV sites (Zam, Core, and Eorzeapedia) to inform everyone of this coalition. Assuming I get positive responses here prior to then, I can submit the post to you guys for your stamp of approval much like I have with the other server communities. The actual coalition website will be launched within a month or two. Anywho, let me know what you think ASAP please. Look forward to hearing from you ^^

Warm regards,

~Zarik

Zarik

Back to top Go down

FFXIV RP Community Empty Re: FFXIV RP Community

Post by Reinbach Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:29 pm

I, for one, am eagerly awaiting FFXIV. I intend to RP in it, and every time I read some new information about the game I refine a little bit of the character I intend to play.

That said, I'm a little iffy about the idea of a roleplay coalition. Out of character, I think it's a great idea. The more role playing resources the community has, the better off we all are. However, we in CPM have had some bad experiences doing cross-linkshell events. Our respective canons have clashed hard in the past. For example, a couple of months after some members did a roleplay of Chains of Promathia another RP linkshell did it. One of the members popped into our linkshell and started talking IC about how he had just discovered the long lost ruins of Tu'Lia. When some characters mentioned that they had been there for a while, an argument broke out that caused many a hurt butt on both sides. It's best if this kind of thing can be avoided.

I'm not against a server-wide RP setting. City of Heroes' Virtue server has an amazing server-wide community with their own wiki and everything. I just think that given our past experience with dueling canons, putting everyone on the same boat and expecting them to get along only works if you make them accept a singular vision of the world. Otherwise, it becomes one of those things where you just don't mention your own canon in polite company.
Reinbach
Reinbach

Back to top Go down

Post by Zarik Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:22 pm

Your concerns are pretty much shared across the spectrum. This is why we'll be launching the coalition website months in advance. There we can hammer out standards and rules regarding cross-guild RP. The coalition will essentially be much like a United Nations of the RP community. We'll have etiquette established to handle any problem that comes our way. Obviously, each guild will have its own rules that will differ from the coalition's. But the coaltion standards will deal strictly with cross-guild interactions. Individual shells can always put rules in place to help combat the situation you described.

Another concern others have shared is the "politics" of the RP community. I'm not sure how much OOC drama and politics this server's RP group has dealt with but many of us have seen far worse than endgame drama. The coalition will also hammer out rules and standards regarding any of those concerns.

The following is the message ready to be posted on premier FF14 sites. I'll submit it here to see if we're on the same page or not:

Warning: This may come off as a wall of text. The message is primarily aimed at prospective role-players for Final Fantasy XIV. If the roleplaying community is something you are interested in, please read on and take this all in as seriously as possible.

When it comes to Final Fantasy Online, the roleplaying community has often been small and practically invisible. We were never united in Vana’diel, tossed around from server to server with little idea of each other’s existences. By the time we all discovered each other, it was too late to have everyone jump servers to be more unified. In addition, the majority of the regular player base remained constantly oblivious to our existence. The “roleplaying” they thought they saw consisted of non-Rpers emoting silly stuff by the auction house. As such, our existence and true nature remained under the radar for most of these years. That mistake will most certainly be rectified this time around, though not easily.

If SE actually designates an official RP server (something they did not do for FFXI), we’ll be good to go right away. If they do not, it will take collaboration on our part to designate a RP server for ourselves. Even if they do happen to give us an official server, there are still issues that would need to be addressed to ensure a strong RP community overall. To do this, I intend to launch a site and forums to allow greater communication between future Rpers. This site, while far from extravagant, will be used to discuss RP standards and styles, form guilds based on individual needs, begin the character creation process (storylines, bios, etc), and most importantly to select a RP server by popular vote upon receiving a server list. It will also be used to advertise all future active RP guilds, giving future members a place to shop around for the styles and rules that fit them.

It would be naïve to think that all roleplayers can unite under a single guild. This is why the website/forums will -not- be a guild website. It will be a coalition of guilds. All former and current Rpers of Vana’diel, along with potential new Rpers, are welcome to take part in the discussions there. Non-Rpers are welcome to speak up there as well if they have useful contributions related to us. It would also be naïve to think that there will never be any kind of political OOC rivalries between guilds later down the line. Let’s be realistic. This isn’t going to be a utopia or anything and everyone should know that right away. Rpers have always been a rare breed in comparison to endgamers or just plain social guilds. Six months down the line, there’s no telling what RP guilds may start fizzling out, making their leaders possibly get desperate and do something they later regret. I estimate there to be approximately 9-10 main RP guilds from the onset, each different from the other. The best way to avoid these kind of clashes is to foster close relationships between each guild from the beginning. Cross-guild events (such as tavern nights, etc) along with server-wide RP hosted events would help bring the community closer together and prevent the potential disaster of competing for membership.

Now for the status update. I have spent the last couple months or so communicating with leaders and representatives of various FFXI RP linkshells. The general consensus is that the -vast- majority of Rpers are transferring to Hydaelyn/Eorzea. This is good in the sense that we’re looking at a large RP population from the start. It’s also bad because it means that Vana’diel’s RP population is practically destined to go extinct. In fact, Vana’diel is already on that thin rope. According to the information I’ve gathered, most RP communities have already split apart or fizzled out. Many of these people have scattered about to who knows where. This is going to make it difficult, though not impossible, to get ourselves organized.

RP communities throwing their much needed general support toward this united community include Sylph, Leviathan, Asura, Phoenix, and Kujata. I have so far been unable to reach CaitSith, Lakshmi*, or Garuda. As such, I assume their communities have either ceased being or consist of only a small handful of members. This does not mean that they will not support this endeavor however. It simply means I have been unable to contact their leaders. The Siren community has already scattered and is probably going to be difficult to reorganize. I apologize in advance if I missed other RP groups.

So what can you do if you’re a prospective roleplayer? First and foremost, you should remain patient. I do not wish to launch a site/forums too soon for fear of people losing interest within a couple months and slowly drifting away, thus thinning our numbers before we even start the game. At the same time, I don’t desire to hold off until the last minute and blow our chances of getting fully organized. Hence, I intend to hold off until right before open beta has officially begun. And by the looks of that, it isn’t too far off now. So expect us to go live within another month, two at the latest. By then, we’ll also have sufficient information to begin planning our characters and storylines out.

The second thing you can do is mobilize all interested Rpers once we do start organizing ourselves. If you’re a former/current leader of a RP group in FFXI, you can do this by sending out mass emails to the users on your forums. For instance, I created a RP tribute video for Sylph and sent it out to over 200 of our 320+ past Rpers to hopefully get many in the mood for Rping in the new world. While I realize getting all 200 of those individuals is impossible, a good chunk is still quite realistic. If you aren’t a leader, you can help by getting together all of your RP buddies and preparing for the journey ahead. You can also sign up on the forums when we do actually go live. After all, that is where we will be selecting our server if necessary.

Finally, you can start brainstorming your character. I realize this may be difficult due to lack of lore and info. However, everyone can at least work on core traits and personality for their characters and tweak as needed. I think all of us want to see a healthy, vibrant, and high quality RP community. The more details you put into your character, the better.

I can’t think of anything else to add to any of this. Most discussions will take place on the future RP coalition forums. Please look forward to our future plans and I shall see all you future roleplayers in Eorzea! Stay tuned for future updates! ^^

Best regards,
Zarik and the RP community

*Obviously, I finally made some degree of contact with this server's RP group so that particular clause can change after I hear whether you support this cause or not^^

Zarik

Back to top Go down

Post by Verence Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:35 pm

Looks good, I like the idea, but I've seen RP coalitions try and fail in the past. Most exploded on the launchpad. Getting RPers to agree is like herding cats - they all have their own style, and everyone thinks theirs is "right". Lots think they're better RPers than all the others and make no bones about telling people that. Your above posts give me the distinct impression I'm preaching to the choir, though. I'd be happy to give things a try so long as nobody has any grand expectations for things. It may well fall apart, but it does set up an important first step - getting all the RPers in one spot. I have once, just once, seen a successful RP organization in an MMO so it's clearly not impossible. However, that had a clear leader organizing everything.

Basically, all this to say: I don't think it'll work, but I've been wrong plenty of times before and I don't see why we can't give it a try. I can't speak for the rest of our much-diminished LS, but I can speak for myself.

Oh, and a postscript: Ayvaen, the shellholder, quit over a year ago. Sorry for any confusion. The only sack we have left is Xenedra and we're a small enough operation nowadays we simply don't bother with having a leader.
Verence
Verence

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenedra Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:46 pm

As Verence says, we're itty bitty now adays, and those of us left pretty much all share the sentiments that Bach and Vere have said above (though it seems you do, too, heh). But the fact that there are those out there looking to unite some RPers before ff14 even hits the ground gets me a little excited Smile. I'll be keeping an eye on the coilition~
Xenedra
Xenedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Zarik Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:37 pm

I completely understand your skepticism to a RP coalition. I myself watched one for FFXI fall apart before it even started. Granted, it came a little late and each group was doing its own thing already when it started. But another contributing factor to its premature demise was the fact that there were no members really supporting it. Some RP leaders did, but the members did not. This is something that has to be addressed and I'm doing what I can to do so.

Here's the current plan. I'm going to start sending out the link to the coalition site and forums very soon since we'll be launching in possibly 6-8 weeks. Before then though, I want to build up the roster list of the coalition as a means of proving that this can succeed. My goal, which seems fairly realistic, is to gain 80-100 registered RPers with the coalition before it goes live. To do this, I'm asking most RP groups I'm communicating with to mobilize 10 or more Rpers to the cause. The "Big 3" RP groups from Sylph, Leviathan, and Asura will very likely mobilize 20+ members each. If each group does its part, we should reach the goal fairly easily. This will give the coalition some muscle (for lack of a better word) before going public. This in turn should have the effect of gaining attention of those who may doubt a coalition's success. While I realize it will take more than simply large numbers to succeed, it's still a good first step.

Since you guys are "tiny," I won't request that you mobilize 10+ RPers to the cause because that may be too much to ask. But do you think you'd be able to mobilize around 5 or so? One suggestion I would make is to send out a mass email via these boards to registered members but only the forum administrator could do that. And I'm not sure how many registered members have their emails hidden here. Anyway, let me know either way. I'll be back in touch soonish ^^

Zarik

Back to top Go down

Post by Verence Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:54 am

5+ is probably quite doable. We have 4-5 people actively RPing in-game now, and could probably round up a couple more who don't currently but would in XIV.
Verence
Verence

Back to top Go down

Post by Reinbach Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:00 pm

You have my axe.
Reinbach
Reinbach

Back to top Go down

Post by Mhuirnin Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:42 pm

And my spatula!
Mhuirnin
Mhuirnin

Back to top Go down

Post by Loial Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:15 pm

Sounds most interesting.

Loial

Back to top Go down

Post by Zarik Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:04 pm

I will be posting the link to the coalition site and forums sometime next week most likely so be on the lookout! At the moment, I'm focusing on getting as many RPers from Sylph and Leviathan registered since they have the largest groups by far and will take the most time and effort to get everyone. Don't worry though. No discussions on RP related topics will take place until every group is registered. I will not give anyone a head start in deciding future RP happenings for the overall community. It looks like you guys should have no problem getting at least 5 recruits for the coalition.

Since the administrator is MIA, I guess I can't suggest using the mass email feature to mobilize more from this forum. But if any of you can access other emails here, please do. You have a better idea than I do on who would likely show up on the FF14 RP scene.

I'll be back sometime next week with the link!

Zarik

Back to top Go down

Post by Zarik Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:13 pm

We're ready for you guys now! We are not officially public yet and a lot of sections are still locked. So if you could register and get any other Lakshmi RPers to register, that would be awesome.

EDIT: Site moved. http://www.ffxiv-roleplayers.com

Hope to see you there very soon! Let me know when/if you get at least 5 coalition members registered so I can cross you off the list. Thanks!

~Zarik

PS: If anyone has the time or dedication, I do have a suggestion to get around the lack of an admin when it comes to mobilizing more RPers from your server. I suggest sending private messages to various registered users. Most will likely receive an email notification of the PM and thus possibly increase the number of RPers you can mobilize. Just a thought.

Last edited by Zarik on Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : RPC site moved.)

Zarik

Back to top Go down

Post by DiamondGFX Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:59 pm

See you guys in FFIV! (And possibly sooner!)

DiamondGFX

Back to top Go down

Post by Verence Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:44 am

Oh snap. Let's hope she still doesn't have her combination spice/gun rack.
Verence
Verence

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkValkyr Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:05 am

Interesting. =D

Well, if CPM's for it, I'm more inclined for it too.

Let's give it a shot then.
DarkValkyr
DarkValkyr

Back to top Go down

Post by DiamondGFX Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:13 pm

Well, guess I probably won't see you all in FFXIV.

This game is...awful. It's like they took some of the worst aspects from FFXI and magnified them. The controls, the UI, the battle system (seriously, FFXI's is super polished in comparison to this)... this is a train wreck. I enjoyed it when I was actively doing one of the quests, but the guildleves have such a huge cooldown on them. Sadness Sad

On a side note, sorry I randomly disappeared again; I decided on a whim to try to take two graduate courses over the summer and am teaching even more in addition to working full time, so I had to give up on FFXI again for a bit. Plus, starting over again from scratch kind of sucked Sad

DiamondGFX

Back to top Go down

Post by Verence Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:34 am

Updates ahoy!

The beta is really a work in progress, which makes me curious just how polished they hope to get it by release, but... It seems like at least a lot of problems, they will be fixing.

Also: Sup. You totally have to RP in XIV just to see Verence 2.0 be HORRIFICALLY AWKWARD. It'll be entertaining, promise.
Verence
Verence

Back to top Go down

Post by Taelia Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:48 am

So here I was, playing FFXIV a bit, but totally missing out on RPing!
I was thinking of starting a random RP linkshell, decided to Google CantaPerMe a bit to see how everyones doing, and this topic came up right on top!

Reading all of the text, I'm totally excited. Though the FFXIV interface might make things a bit awkward at first, most of the RPing takes place inbetween the chatlines anyway :3
Also, the beautiful places to explore..<3

Either way, a bit more on topic, an RP guild coalition huh? I'm a bit skeptic to be honest. I'm sure most of it has been stated already, but everyone has its own style and rules. I'm very looking forward to seeing how it works out though, all these assumptions can only be put to the test by actually doing it~ count me in!

Taelia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down